Steak on a pellet grill. Cooking a steak on a pellet grill is popular in this era because the pellet grill will pop up all the satisfying of a meaty and mouth-watering steak. No matter what kind of beef cut you like, a pellet grill is a perfect cooker for your delicious steak.
In this article, we will share more deeply about cooking a steak on a pellet grill. The secret of grilling a steak on a pellet grill has some techniques, and we will inform you about it too. Also, we will talk about how to cook steak on a pellet grill in an incredible way and taste.
Table of Contents
What is a pellet grill?
Some of us didn’t know what a pellet grill is exactly and how to use it. Many of us realize the pellet grill is a convection cooker. A pellet grill combines the elements and features of an oven, smoker, and grill. The central heat and smoke are from the pellets. That’s why this girl is really popular to use. Then, the process of heating on a pellet grill is quick. Also, the strongest feature of this grill can be used in any weather, like windy and raining.
How to cook steaks on a pellet grill?
Most of us think that grilling a steak is easy. But not really if you use a pellet grill. Because to cook steak on a pellet grill, you must know some tips. It will be better to know the temperature to cook steak on the grill and how long to cook the steak on the grill. That’s why following the tips and steps below will help you cook steak on a pellet grill.
1. Cooking a steak on a pellet grill in a traditional way
This is the common technique for cooking a steak on a grill. That’s why we call it the traditional way. It is an easy technique, and you can do it by following the steps below:
- Get out your steak, and let it in the room at normal temperature. Then, tap the steak with a paper towel or tissue to remove the moisture from it.
- While you let your steak dry out. Set up the pellet grill, make sure the grill temperature is at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After that, you can season your steak. You can use salt and black paper. Seasoning the steak based on your flavor.
- Next, you can bump up the heat to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Placing the steak on the hottest part of the grill. The hottest part of the pellet grill is in the back of the smoker.
- After that, cook the steak for 4-6 minutes on each side. So the total is 8-12 minutes to grill it.
- You can reduce the temperature to 350 degrees if you pass 3 minutes on each side.
- Last, measure the steak with the thermometer to know the internal temperature. Then, you can enjoy the steak cooking by yourself on a pellet grill.
2. Reverse sear steak grill on the pellet grill
This is the next-level technique for grilling your steak. Of course, cooking steak on a pellet grill can use this technique too. This is the best way of cooking pellet grill steak because the process of reverse searing is smoking your steak at a low temperature for a while. That makes your steak come out with a special smoky flavor and taste.
With this technique, you will get the complex taste and sense of steak, with the soled sear and tasty smoky flavor on it. Although, this technique will use more time to cook it. It will last longer than grilled steak the traditional way. Here are some steps and guides to cooking reverse searing steak on a pellet grill:
- Turn on a high smoke setting if your pellet grill has it. Then, preheat the pellet grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season your grill with kosher salt and fresh ground black paper, but feel free to mix the kind of seasoning you like.
- Then, smoke your steak until it catches 110 degrees Fahrenheit at the steak’s internal temperature.
- After that, take the steak from the grill and leave it.
- Bump up your pellet grill to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. If your grill can’t catch those temperatures, you can set it at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put back the steak on the grill. When it is already up, sear the steak for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Measure the internal steak temperature; if you think it’s done, you can remove it from the grill. Medium rare is about 128 degrees, 135 degrees for medium, and for medium-well, you can pull it on 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the stick, serve it on a beautiful plate, then enjoy with your family.
Ribeye steak on a pellet grill
Want to make the delicious and best steak? Use ribeye steak on a pellet grill. This simple recipe and juicy steak will be possible for you to make it. First, get two sticks of ribeye steak and add some ingredients to it. Then we move to grill steps:
- Preheat the grill to low smoke and let the ribeye steak sit at room temperature.
- Seasoning your ribeye steak.
- Then, after the grill pellet is quite hot, put the ribeye steak on it and let it smoke for 15-20 minutes.
- After that, reduce the temperature of the pellet grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, place the ribeye stick on the pellet grill again.
- Sear each side for 5 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the stick, measure what taste of steak you want. The steak can be rare, medium, or well done. It’s up to you.
- Your ribeye stick is ready to serve.
Sirloin steak on a pellet grill
To grill a sirloin steak on a pellet grill, you need to do some preparation. First, take the sirloin steak from your refrigerator, let it dry with a paper towel. While you leave the steak at room temperature, you can preheat your grill. Then, season your steak based on your taste.
Next, sirloin steak didn’t have much time to smoke because the fat was low. After the pellet grill heats up to 225 degrees, put the steak on the pellet grill. You were grilling the steak for approximately 35-40 minutes, measuring the internal temperature. Based on the internal temperature, you will know what kind of steak you get, and it is medium-rare or well done.
Tips and tricks for heat searing on a pellet grill
Before you start to grill steak on a pellet grill, make sure to preheat your grill first. Then, make sure the setting of your grill is a smoke setting. Still monitor the flame on the grill. After ten minutes, it will be on smoke forms, and it will be ready for searing the steak. Some recommendations while using this method are using an iron cast, even cooking and searing.
Seasoning and searing
Based on the preference you want, adding a grain of salt or black paper to your steak will help the searing process. Rub the seasoning on the steak before searing the steak to make it capture a maximal flavor.
Never rush the searing process
While grilling and searing your steak on a pellet grill, make sure you flip the steak once on each side. Because flipping the stick too often will make the steak crude on center and make the juice run out. Patience will make your steak taste great.
Then, while grilling and searing, make sure you have a thermometer. Because you need to know the temperatures of your steak, when it’s time to pull up your steak from the grill, you can move it to the side of your grill, which has indirect heat.
The proper taste of your steak is based on how it is cooked. The searing high temperature will be crucial to let your steak in a few minutes before you cut and serve it. To make sure the juice and the heat are still inside your steak, you can use aluminum foil to cover it.
Which wood is best for steak on a pellet grill?
Typically some people use wood pellet types like Hickory, Mesquite, or Pecan. We start with Pecan, and it is an underappreciated wood type for grilling or smoking. Because it has a low smoke flavor and taste compared to the other two types of wood. Then, Hickory and Mesquite are the stronger terms on smoking. The strong smokies and beefy meat make the Hickory and Mesquite often used for grilling and smoking. Some other people also use Oakwood pellets for grilling and smoking the steak. It will be a great choice type of wood, and you also can use an Oakwood pellet for your pellet grill.
Are pellet grills good for steak?
Yes, of course, a pellet grill is the perfect grill for cooking steaks. The perfect steak is juicy and mouth-watering and also seared on both sides. With this pellet grill, you can get this perfect taste of steak. A pellet grill can accommodate the wonderful features that make it more efficient. Also, they don’t use charcoal on it. I cook steak with charcoal and it will change the taste of steak. But, it will not happen if you use a pellet grill. The natural flavor of steak will come out of your use of a pallet grill. All of those features make the pellet grill perfect and excellent for cooking a steak.
What temperatures to cook steak on a pellet grill?
One difficulty of cooking a steak on a pellet grill is knowing the right temperature. To cook the meat on a pellet grill requires several steps. It would be perfect if you preheat the grill first. It will be an important thing to do. Most people will grill the steak at 375 degrees, then don’t forget to close the lid around 15 minutes before starting to cook. Then, it would be best to keep the steak on the grill until the internal temperature of the meat is based on your desire.
How long does it take to cook a steak on a pellet grill?
The time to cook or to grill your steak depends on how well the steak you want and like. Some people may like to serve the steak on rare occasions, and it will take less time to cook it. Although, if you want to cook the steak well done, it will cost more time. Generally, it will take around 12-15 minutes to cook on a pellet grill. Furthermore, it will take more time if you want to cook at a low temperature. Need to remember in your mind to always check the internal temperature.
This article will assist you in learning how to cook steaks on a pellet grill the right way. Cooking steak on a pellet grill is also based on the type of pellet grill you buy. Also, based on the type of meat you use. Make sure you follow some tips below; I hope it will make you become the master of grilling steak.