Basement Room Ideas. The basement or cellar is a room of a building that is entirely or partly under the ground floor. Generally, homeowners use the basement as a utility space for their home, where such items as water heater, fuse box, and air conditioning system are located. Because most homeowners spend very little time on designing their basement, the basement often becomes an underutilized space where people rarely go into. Therefore, most basements are dark, damp, and moldy. However, it doesn’t have to stay that way, since re-purposing a basement is becoming more common nowadays.
Utilizing your basement as a more useful room than a utility room can increase the value of your home. It increases the amount of living space and a good atmosphere around the house. Also, you can save time and money if you use the basement to serve features that only available outside the house, such as a fitness room or a home theater. To help you find the ideal basement function for your home, we provide some basement decoration ideas for basement rooms in this article for you to consider.
Related Topic: Magnificent Basement Bedroom Ideas
Pros and cons of having a basement room
By having a basement, homeowners can reap the benefits. First of all, a basement offers the possibility of space expansion. Sometimes, it’s hard to focus on working at home. Therefore, the homeowner can use the basement as a home office to focus on work; Secondly, it eliminates noise. Some activities such as band practice can become too noisy in a house, so moving them into the basement can solve the problem. Thirdly, a basement can be a storage room for rarely used items and keep the home from being too crowded.
Despite the benefits, owning a basement room can also have some disadvantages. Poor lighting is the first. Since the basement is under the ground, even in daylight, basements will not get sufficient natural light. Secondly, basements can be humid, and humidity invites mold and mildew. Thirdly, basement remodels can be hard to pull off. For example, basement remodels workers should use the stairs to move stuff, small and big. It’s already harder than renovating the other rooms. However, despite those inconveniences, many homeowners find that basement renovation well worth the effort, and certain solutions can quickly solve the problems above.
- WELL MADE - Sold as 1 panel. Sizes: 12.5 ft Wide x 8 ft Long ( W 150 x L 96 inch ). 14 Metal Silver...
- BLACKOUT MATERIAL: 100% high-quality durable polyester and super soft triple woven fabric, which add...
- GOOD PERFORMANCE - Split your room harmoniously, and create a personal space. Block the light and...
- Made of 100% grade A Polyester blend linen natural material
- Dimensions: 18" x 18" / 45cm x 45cm (1-2cm deviation)
- There is a Zipper to close the cover.Hidden slide fastener design for good looking!
- 【8.2ft Black LED Strip Lights 】Can cover 3/4 sides of 46" to 60" ; From 24" to 32", please take...
- 【Make Your TV Different】 This behind TV lighting kit can reduce eye fatigue and ease eye strain....
- 【Sync ON/ OFF with TV】For TV and gaming room decor, this bias lighting will ON/ OFF with most...
Basement family room ideas
Using the basement as a family room or living room is not uncommon these days. Families need a place where they can relax and do fun activities at home. Therefore, having a family room in the basement can be a solution. Here are some of our top picks.
Calming Family Room
- Abstract Painting Size: 28x40(70x100cm) inches, 100% hand-painted,It was painted in acrylic on...
- Abstract Framed Canvas Wall Art: Neutral tone of pink and exquisite blue provide this abstract...
- Deep gallery back wrapped stretched canvas, This abstract painting can be hung vertically or...
- TRANSITIONAL CANVAS WALL ART: Whimsical art on framed high quality gallery-wrapped canvas. Print...
- EASY TO HANG: Metal sawtooth hangers come attached on the inset MDF back for easy wall display
- LARGE SIZE: The frame is lightweight polystyrene with display dimensions of 18" x 24"
The mix of grey and soft blue in this room creates a calm atmosphere. This finished basement use beige floor and wall remodel to set up an excellent background for this family room. Moreover, the sectional sofa, the abstract painting, and the wooden table complete this cozy and calming family room.
Modern Family Room
- Give yourself the gift of relaxation and comfort in this double reclining sofa with recessed levers;...
- LeatherSoft upholstery and plush arms and pillow back cushions with CAL 117 fire retardant foam
- Easy to assemble, holds up to 300 lbs. weight capacity per seat
Another ideas to decorate your basement room is, the dark tone of this basement family room makeover gives the room a modern vibe. Adding the artistic-looking stone fireplace enhances the beauty of this minimalism design. Due to the lack of furniture, the room looks a bit empty. However, it can help the family members to focus on socializing with each other while in the room.
Contemporary Man Cave
- DIMENSIONS & BOTTLE CAPACITY: 36”x13”x5.25” with wine bottles stored. Holds 9 bottles (750ml),...
- STYLISH, CONTEMPORARY WINE STORAGE: The perfect intersection of size and storage, this metal wine...
- DURABLE MATERIAL & SLEEK FINISH: Built with high-quality steel, and offered in satin black, brushed...
Although it looks very masculine, this room can work well as a family room. However, you might need a rather big basement to recreate this design. It has plenty of seating, a TV, tables, and even pictures around the room that create a family-friendly atmosphere.
Industrial Family Room
- SOUTHWEST WILDLIFE DESIGN: The Buffalo Bear area rug showcases southwest and wildlife design...
- AVAILABLE IN TWO AREA RUG SIZES: Choose the area rug size that will best suit your décor needs - 8...
- VERSATILE FOR ANY SPACE: This area rug collection has charming rug designs and sizes that are...
- Black bear rustic lodge 5'3" x 7'3" area rug
- Made with 100% high quality polypropylene fiber
- Machine made
This basement design might be hard to pull off for some basements. It has many room accesses, from the sides and the upstairs. However, you can always recreate its trendy vibes. The color of the furniture that matches well with the interior is the key, it make this man cave basement living room look cool. Then, the ample lighting that is scattered across the room can also help to enhance its beauty.
Luxurious Family Room
- This modern sofa features simple lines and square armrests atop tall tapered legs, giving it a...
- 79.9"W x 34.6"D x 35.4"H
- Hardwood frame, solid beech wood legs and durable polyester upholstery stand up to wear and tear
- COVERS ONLY - Set of 6 pillow covers ONLY, 18x18 in. The pillow inserts are NOT included.
- QUALITY DESIGNS - The neutral and universal trendy designs make them can be used in any environment....
- DURABLE MATERIAL - 5 of the pillow covers are 100% natural cotton woven fabric, this is a durable...
The grey tone used in this finished basement gives a contemporary look. The shiny details in certain areas enhance the look and add a luxurious vibe to it. Also this basement have a wet bar and kitchen plumbing make this basement fell modern. Lastly, the variety of items, furniture, and appliances complete the room and transform it into a convenient family room.
Basement game room ideas
To make a basement room even more fun, many homeowners add a variety of games in it. Here are our top game room ideas for your basement.
Classic Game Room
- INGLENOOK CHANDELIER DIMENSIONS: 17.5" High (68.75" Max Adjustable Height) x 47.5" Wide x 16" Long,...
- MEDIUM BASE LIGHT SOCKET: 3-100 Watt G40-Type Incandescent Bulbs, 300 Total Watts, Does Not Include...
- INSTALLATION: (2) 48" Chain and Hardware to Mount Fixture to an Existing Junction Box Included...
This design adds a poker table, a pool table, and some arcade game machines into this large basement. The use of light brown wood across the room, even at the ceiling, creates an elegant vibe. With vending machines and cozy sofas inside, this basement will be a great hangout spot.
Small Indoor Sports Room
- LEARN TO PLAY: The Franklin Future Champs NHL Kids Hockey Set is perfect for teaching your little...
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Our Insta-Set easy fold corner joints fold & lock into place to easily assemble or...
- SET INCLUDES: 2 easy-fold kids hockey goals, 2 18-28" adjustable street hockey sticks for growing...
For sports enthusiasts, this basement design is an excellent choice. Since it doesn’t need a lot of features or furniture, this design might be one of the easier ones to pull off. You only need to choose the right material for the floor and install the right sports equipment, a goal post, for example, and you’re good to go.
Cool Game Room
- Manufactured from PET resin
- Manufactured in the USA
- Kidney shaped practice putting green
- Economic Choice: The golf putting mat comes with 6 bonus golf balls, saving you from additional...
- Realistic Effect: With double-colored green grass, the putting mat gives you a real-like effect...
- Conveniently Portable: You can easily carry the golf putting green mat from one place to another,...
- PORTABLE & COMPACT GOLF MAT— Practice golf from the comfort of your home, office, backyard, or...
- LIFELIKE TURF & EXTENDED LENGTH— Our golf mat gives you the life-like feel of grass for a...
- SMART BALL RETURN SYSTEM — With Abco’s golf putting mat, the ball rolls back and you don't have...
The extra big space in this basement makes it suitable for a bunch of activities. It has mini-golf field, bowling area, even a room for a cozy couch. Moreover, the tall ceiling makes this basement feel even more extensive. However, due to its large size, it might be tricky to illuminate the basement evenly.
Extravagant Bar and Game Room
This is one of the best game room bar ideas we found. This basement game room design uses colorful lighting at the bar to create an extravagant vibe. Furthermore, the lights also match well with the color of the arcade game machines. The large drink cabinet allows a variety of drinks to choose while playing arcade games.
Cue Sports and Chill
The combination of the pool table and mini bar makes this basement room a perfect hangout place. The use of purple-colored pool table brings a good mood for the people using it. Lastly, the landscape pictures on the wall enhance the cozy atmosphere.
Basement laundry room ideas
Since it isolates noise, many homeowners use their basement as a laundry room. It’s one of the most common uses of the basement. Here are some laundry room ideas for your basement.
Elegant Laundry Room
This laundry room design is practically elegant. It has plenty of room available for clothes, and it would be useful for big families. The side-by-side positioning for the washer and the dryer makes the cleaning job more manageable. Moreover, the table in the center makes it easier to fold the clean clothes.
Concise Laundry Room
The white color of this laundry room gives a nice contrast to the items in the cupboards. It would be easier to find things in the room. Also, the hot red color of the washer and the dryer adds a warm vibe.
Delicate Laundry Room
This basement laundry room uses the same grey color for the washer/dryer and the cupboards. It makes the layout seems more integrated. Moreover, the open-shelving at the top of the machine is useful to store detergents and other laundry items.
Modern Laundry Room
Complete with hexagonal patterns on the walls, this clean white laundry room creates a contemporary look. The closed cabinets keep the room neat and polished. Lastly, the small things like a clock and the trolley add some essential functions to the laundry room.
Minimalist Laundry Room
This laundry room design utilizes the small space very well. It’s practical and gorgeous at the same time. Moreover, the oak wood color mixes well with the white tone of the room. The small plants also add a fresh vibe in the room.
Basement theater room ideas
Having a home theater is another way to enjoy entertainment at home, especially for movie-goers. Using the basement as a theater room can reduce the sound and keep the people in the other room undisturbed. Here are some basement theater ideas.
Classic Basement Theater
This classic-looking home theater uses a reddish-brown color to create an elegant vibe. Combined with the beautiful lighting on the walls, this design successfully recreates a luxurious cinematic experience. Lastly, the theater-style seating concludes the fantastic design.
Victorian Basement Cinema
This home theater design uses red color and yellowish lighting to create a warm atmosphere. Other than a movie-viewing area, this basement design also makes room for people to sit and hangout. It’s beneficial for brainstorming and discussion after the movie ends. Also, it’s a great place to gather, chill, and relax.
All-in-one Home Theater
For a home theater, this basement design already has cozy seating and ample size projector screen. But, the designer decided to enhance the features even more by adding bar and other seating at the back of the viewing area. Moreover, the diffuse lighting on the ceiling makes the room glamorously illuminated.
Simple but Modern Home Theater
This home theater design looks very calm and cozy due to the unique wall lighting and the purple tone of them. This design also makes the viewing angle more comfortable by elevating the seating.
Premium Home Theater
This trendy basement design will blend well with the modern environment. The combination of grey, black, and dark brown color makes the room look luxurious. Moreover, the different-styled walls and the abstract paintings enhance the aesthetics even more.
Basement storage room ideas
Most homeowners use their basement as a storage room. But, they rarely put some effort in designing the room. We hope that the ideas below can inspire people to make their storage room more appealing.
Simple Basement Storage Room
The grey color adds a modern look to the storage room. If the storage cupboards are full of stuff, the room can look messy. Therefore, the enclosed cabinets help to make the room feel roomy.
Medieval Style Storage Room
This storage room applies the middle age style to it. It uses candles to illuminate the room and old-looking wood material for the open shelves. It’s gorgeous, but it can be tiresome to light the candles when needed.
Straightforward Storage Room
This design managed to maximize the basement space to fit all kinds of things. It has plenty of open shelves, cabinets, and clothing hangers. You can provide all types of items in it, from coats to toilet papers.
Spacious Basement Storage Room
Some homeowners need to have some unused space in their house. This basement storage design can be the solution. You can have a storage room and still have plenty of space left to use for other purposes.
Cozy Basement Toy Room
Kids often hate going to the basements. By turning the basement into a toy room, kids would start to like going to the basement and even organizing their toys. Also, the open shelving makes it easier to find certain toys.
Basement craft room ideas
Some homeowners choose crafting as their hobby. For them, it would be nice to have a craft room in their home. And, the basement is a viable option to transform. Here are our basement craft room recommendations.
Eclectic Craft Room
This craft room design mixes current design and conventional elements to create a fresh and timeless look. Furthermore, the ocean blue quartz counter-top at the center offers plenty of space to get creative and makes moving around easier. The open cabbies keep craft material organized.
Colorful Craft Room
Combining a white background and colorful items in a room is delightful. The vibrant, multi-colored chairs make this craft room fun for kids. Also, the custom mill-work cube is useful to store crafting materials.
Conventional Home Project
The ample size of the counter-top makes it suitable to work on a big crafting project. Alongside with the open shelving, cabinets and cupboards are useful to organize crafting materials. The light-colored timber used for the furniture blends well with the current environment.
Simple Craft Room
This concise craft room is perfect for small-sized basements. It’s simple and probably one of the best cheap basement remodeling ideas. Placing the work area in the middle makes it easy to clean up and move around. Lastly, the lighting placement on top of the counter-top helps to make the crafting activities more focused.
Transitional Craft Room
Some homeowners need a craft room that can handle more than one project. This craft room design has separated counter-top to make that possible. With a bunch of cabinets available in the room, you can store plenty of craft materials in them. Lastly, the white color of the room makes the room look modern, neat, and polished.
To conclude, there are a lot of alternatives on how to use your basement. Although some ideas are more exciting than the others, you must prioritize your needs. Also, feel free to look for more ideas and references to find your ideal basement design. We hope that you would love every part of your home after finding the perfect basement design.